Africa (Sub-Sahara) ExxonMobil subsidiary Esso Exploration Angola has started oil production at the Kizomba Satellites Phase 2 project offshore Angola. The project involves the development of subsea infrastructure for the Kakocha, Bavuca, and Mondo South fields. Mondo South is the first field to begin production, and the other two satellite fields will follow later this year. The goal is to increase Block 15's production to 350,000 BOPD. Esso (40%) is the operator with BP Exploration Angola (26.67%), Kosmos Energy discovered gas at the Tortue West prospect in Block C-8 offshore Mauritania.
Africa (Sub-Sahara) ExxonMobil will drill its first exploratory well offshore Liberia this month, the company announced on 18 October. A deepwater well is planned on the Liberia-13 Block, which is about 50 miles off the coast of the West African country. Solo Oil plans to spud the Ntorya-2 appraisal well in Tanzania next month. The drilling pad is a mile southwest of the 2012 Ntorya-1 discovery well, which was tested at rates of 20.1 MMcf/D of gas and 139 B/D of condensate. An independent report estimated the discovery to hold 153 Bcf of gas in place, of which 70 Bcf is considered a gross best-estimate contingent resource. A gross best estimate of more than 1 Tcf of gas in place has been made for the Ntorya prospect as a whole, in which the company has a 25% interest. Asia Pacific BP has decided to abandon drilling plans in the Great Australian Bight offshore southern Australia, an area in which prospective drilling has long been contested by environmentalists.
Norwegian operator DNO announced a two-thirds increase in production from the Peshkabir field in the Tawke license in the Kurdistan region of Iraq to 25,000 BOPD following completion of the Peshkabir-4 well-testing program. The well has been placed on production at a rate of 10,000 BOPD through temporary, capacity-constrained test facilities, with the oil being trucked to Fish Khabur for export. The Peshkabir-4 well was designed as a high-angle well to assess the central part of the structure 4 km west of the Peshkabir-3 well and drilled to a measured depth of 3525 m, including an 1150-m extended-reach reservoir section. A total of 11 zones were tested and flowed between 1,500 and 7,000 BOPD per zone. DNO operates and has a 75% interest in the Tawke license, which contains the Tawke and Peshkabir fields, with partner Genel Energy holding the remaining 25%.