Preventing formation of hydrate plugs - PetroWiki

Petrowiki 

The prevention of hydrate-plug formation and safe removal of hydrate plugs represent 70% of deepwater flow-assurance challenges; the remaining 30% deal with waxes, scale, corrosion, and asphaltenes. Before considering prevention of hydrate plugs, it is important to consider safety problems involving hydrate plug removal. What is a typical pressure at which hydrates will form? Hydrate-formation data, at a typical deep seafloor temperature of 39 F, were averaged for 20 natural gases (listed in Chap. Of the 20 gases, the lowest hydrate-formation pressure was 100 psig for a gas with 7 mol% propane, while the highest value was 300 psig for a gas with 1.8 mol% propane.